Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport Trunking

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

According to all books read, taught and tutorial followed, configuring Vlan trunking encapsulation is as follows

1.Switch(config)#int fa0/23

2.Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

3.Switch(config-if)#switch trunk encap isl

But this has always been a hichup/hinderance to experimenting with my vlan.The only problem in the three listed lines is the third (the encapsulation line is never accepted by the switch)

A'm i doing anything wrong? please help me, i am doing this on 2950 switch.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Newnetman,

On 2950 only dot1q is supported and that is by default so you need to use any command to configure something which is the only option and that is the reason we have not provided that command.

You can simply run one command

"switchport mode trunk" and you can verify the trunking status and encapsulation status running a command "sh run int fa0/10 switchport"

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

The 2950 does not support ISL. It only supports dot1q. That is why there is no encapsulation command - the trunk encapsulation is always dot1q.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response, unfortunately the dot1q encapsulation too was not accepted, please have a look at the out come to see if you can help further?

Switch(config)#int fa0/10

Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk encap dot1q

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Regards

Newnetman

Belgium

Hi Newnetman,

On 2950 only dot1q is supported and that is by default so you need to use any command to configure something which is the only option and that is the reason we have not provided that command.

You can simply run one command

"switchport mode trunk" and you can verify the trunking status and encapsulation status running a command "sh run int fa0/10 switchport"

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card