cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the IP address on a LMS

atifmba125
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a LMS 2.6 installed and would like to change the ip address of this box. What do i need to backup and later restore so that i dont loose all me devices information.

Thankyou.

3 Replies 3

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Changing the IP address is an easy procedure:

Q. How do I change the IP Address of the CiscoWorks Server after installing it, or after running it for a while?

A. You can change the IP address on the server, and then access it using the new IP address.

To change the IP address on Windows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Click Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections > Local Area Connection.

The Local Area Connection Status dialog box appears.

Step 2 Click Properties.

The Local Area Connection Properties dialog box appears.

Step 3 Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box appears.

Step 4 Select the radio button Use the following IP address.

Step 5 Change the IP address as required, in the IP Address field.

For the subnet mask and default gateway values, use the command ipconfig at the command prompt.

The subnet mask and default gateway values appear.

Step 6 Enter these values in the subnet mask and default gateway fields.

Step 7 Click OK.

Step 8 Restart the server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To change the IP address on Solaris, use the command ifconfig at the command prompt to change the IP address of the required interface.

For example, at the command prompt, you can enter:

ifconfig interfacename inet ipv4address

where the variable interfacename represents the name of the interface and ipv4address represents the new IP address.

Q. Do I need to change the CiscoWorks configuration after changing the IP address?

A. You do not need to change the CiscoWorks configuration whenever you change the IP address. CiscoWorks uses hostname for most of the communication. Only devices need to point to the new IP address. However, after changing the IP address, you must reboot the system on a Solaris server and restart the Daemon Manager on a Windows server. This is to make the changes effective.

I am more concerned about loosing the config archive and the device information. So, what you are saying sounds like i dont have to backup and restore or re-run the discovery again. Yes, most of the devices already have the new ip address for the ciscoworks.

You should always perform a backup of LMS regardless of IP address change. You should not lose any data by changing the IP address of the server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: