cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Baseline template retry causes a reload

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

Here are some more little quirks with baseline templates.

1) The job status is ALWAYS "failed". I think that when a command responds with output of any kind it triggers a failed condition. Thus, attempting to remove a non-existent snmp community ("private") returns the message "Cannot find community private" flags the device as failed. This foeces you to go through the job output for each device to see if it actually failed or not.

2) Sometimes, inexplicably, device configuration does fail somewhere in the middle of the configuration and this happens:

Switch(config)#

access-list 44 permit 10.1.1.1

Switch(config)#

access-list 44 permit 10.1.1.2

snmp-server community ******** ro

--Did not try--

snmp-server community ******** rw

--Did not try--

All configuation commands from this point on result in --Did not try--. There is no indication WHY it did not try.

3) This is my favorite. After a failure like the one above there if I select the baseline job and hit "Retry", RME at some point sends a reload command down to the switch. I had great fun yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. Thought I must have a faulty image loaded because the switches kept reloading when I would try to configure them. Finally fired up the sniffer and saw the reload command coming down.

The baseline templates are a nice feature, but a little buggy for my purposes. I am beginning to think that I need to come up with a different method to mass-configure switches.

2 Replies 2

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

This will occur if there are more devices in the compliance report than are non-compliant lines for any given device. For example, if the report contains two devices, and the baseline template includes only. the line: - snmp-server community public RO

And this line needs to be removed from one of the devices in the baseline compliance test, then the error will occur.

Creating a Basic Baseline Template

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008055b536.html#wp1147018

Thank you for the response. Which issue are you referring to? It appears that I got off on a rant there.