cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS downgrade on a 3750, errors.

nhuntle
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to downgrade my IOS in a 3750 replacement switch.

I am going from 12.2(35) SE5 to our present build which is 12.2(25)SEE3.

My tar file in tftp is a known good file and I have used successfully in the last month or so on older 3750's.

Once the overwrite begins, everything appears to run fine. At the end, I get an error message of:

The image in the archive which would be used to upgrade system number 1 does not support the same feature set.

A ?show flash? shows that the 12.2(35)SE5 build is still there, even after a ?reload?.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

11 Replies 11

nhuntle
Level 1
Level 1

Help....anyone?

pstebner1
Level 1
Level 1

I would back up the config and then delete it from the flash. Reboot the switch, config VLAN1 with an ip address and then do your copy tftp of the 12.2 tar file.

Then copy your config back over.

HTH,

Paul

Well thanks but that didnt work.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you trying to downgrade the 3750 with it as an indiviual unit, or while it's a physical member of a stack?

Have you tried a different IOS?

Well, no. But I'll give it a shot Monday.

Individual.

It is a spare switch, I keep 5 spares, in each position of the stack ready to go.

"in each position of the stack ready to go. "

So, this switch is, or is not, physically in a stack while you're trying to downgrade?

No, NOT in a physical stack while trying to downgrade the IOS.

Ok, that eliminates one issue.

Another, which don't know whether it might be the issue, is 3750s "remember" being a stack member even when removed. You might need to clear such information or reset some of that information.

See your version's information on managing switch stacks, such as: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_37_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1044402

Item such as "archive-download-sw /allow-feature-upgrade " or the SDM template is use, might be of help.

Whew......finally got it figured out.

Solution to work around this. It requires the .bin file to be extracted from the .tar file (WinZip can do this):

!Configure Switch for tftp copy or archive command

enable

config t

int vlan1

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

int Fa1/0/1

speed auto

duplex auto

switchport

switchport access vlan 1

no shut

end

write mem

dir

ping 10.0.0.2

!

!

!

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.2/c3750-advipservicesk9-tar.122-25.SEE3.tar

! If unable to archive the tar file, do below

format flash:

!

mkdir flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3

!

copy tftp://10.0.0.2/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin

! Reload & reconfigure the switch and try the archive command again.

! If booted without an IOS on the switch, do below

! The file will be sent via the console port, so you need the .bin file on the PC you do this from.

! NOTE: set must be lower case, BAUD must be upper.

set BAUD 115200

! You must now change the speed of your console session to be 115200 and then continue below

! NOTE: Use Xmodem-1K for 3x faster download (Xmod = 30Kb/s (45 min), Xmod-1K = 90Kb/s (15 min))

copy xmodem: flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin

unset BAUD

! Must unset BAUD prior to reset to keep the 115200 from being configured for the console port in the IOS.

! NOTE: Don?t forget to change your console session back to 9600 after the unset command.

reset

! Now configure and then run the archive command.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card