Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and DHCP

Andrew.Hanson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a WLC running 3.2.116.21. It is trunked with dot1q and the specific VLANs are allowed. I have defined an interface (call it Outside) for vlan 100 and assigned it an appropriate address. Also the defined DHCP server is a Cisco router acting as a gateway off of the wired LAN. Now, I've also defined a WLAN and tied it to the Outside interface. My problem is that when a wireless client successfully associates they get no IP address. The kicker is that when I do debug on the WLC I see the client's DHCP DISCOVER message go out. And then I see the router's DHCP OFFER message reply. However there is no DHCP ACK and the client never accepts the offered ip address. On another note, this works just fine for a DSL vlan that we've setup in exactly the same manner. DSL router is connected to an arbitrary VLAN and is acting DHCP server. The DSL VLAN is tied to a WLAN and clients can associate and recieve DHCP address no problem. I've rebooted the WLC and no affect, also I've tried disabling/enabling the DHCP proxy. No change in behaviour. I'm definitely all ears to any suggestions!!!!

TIA,

Andrew

1 Reply 1

Andrew.Hanson
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, found out what it was. Just not sure why. In no way related to DHCP issues. Noticed that when I statically assigned an address I still could not communicate. So, after some floundering I deselected static WEP as the security mechanism and used WPA with passcode. Voila! Worked like a champ...my new question then is this...why? The static wep key worked just fine for the DSL vlan instance but not for the Outside vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card