Does CCDA require CCNA cert?

Unanswered Question
Sep 21st, 2007

Hi -- do I need to have a CCNA for taking the CCDA exam? I do have CCNA but will expire pretty soon so would like to find out if I need to take exam prior to my CCNA getting expired or having CCNA is not a pre-requisite.

Please advise.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.3 (5 ratings)
cyphur353 Fri, 09/21/2007 - 18:35

It's not a prerequisite - but if you let it lapse, you would have to re-take the exam.

dlillis65 Sat, 09/22/2007 - 13:20

CCNA is not a pre-requisite, however the CCDA will NOT re-cert your CCNA.

keesjan.schilstra Wed, 09/26/2007 - 04:07

You have a problem.

After 6th of november 2007 you must pass a new type of CCNA exam (voice and wireless included) so hurry and take the CCNA fast.

CCNA is a pre-requisite for the CCDA.

But most important is that you can only maintain you CCNA by taking an 642-... exam or do the CCNA all over.

The CCDA is an 640-.. exam so it is not valid for renewing you CCNA!

keesjan.schilstra Wed, 09/26/2007 - 12:47

It's the way you interpret prerequisite.

as you answered "Just that level knowledge" is the same to me, if you do not have the knowledge of CCNA or same level you do not know what you are learning following the CCDA training.

But most of all "dlillis65" you did not answer the question regarding renewing his CCNA.

cyphur353 Wed, 09/26/2007 - 12:51

There is a significant difference between the requirement being "CCNA level knowledge" and "an active CCNA certification".

You do not need your CCNA to attempt/achieve a CCDA - but if you do not have the knowledge expected of a CCNA - you will experience some additional difficulties in your studies.

This Discussion