cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 works, but I can't access it

seandarcy
Level 1
Level 1

hq has sent down to us a catalyst 2950 switch. I've used Express Setup to configure ip address 10.10.11.200. Express Setup seemed to go us described.

I've installed the switch:

router[10.10.11.252] <-> switch [ 10.10.11.200 ??] <-> pc

The switch works. The pc gets dhcp from the router and can access the internet.

But, I can't access the switch. I can't ping 10.10.11.200, or launch a browser window.

telnet ( which I enabled ) also doesn't work:

telnet 10.10.11.200

Trying 10.10.11.200...

telnet: connect to address 10.10.11.200: No route to host

Any help appreciated

sean

4 Replies 4

seandarcy
Level 1
Level 1

Just to make it clear, the pc gets a 10.10.11.x address, usually 10.10.11.247. Netmask on the pc and switch is 255.255.255.0

sean

Just after you have tried to ping the switch from the PC, can you see an entry in the PC's ARP cache for the switch?

My guess is that the PC port and the router port are on one VLAN, and the management functions of the switch are on another.

If they are indeed on different VLANs, the only way you are going to fix it is to use your PC COM: port to console into the switch.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Well, that assumes I have, or anybody has, this odd "console table".

Is there no way to reset this box to factory defaults? I tried just holding down the MODE switch on startup, then back into Express Setup.

Express Setup shows Management vlan1 -default.

Or do I now just have an unmanaged switch??

sean

TaDa!!

Just did the same thing again ( held down MODE at startup ; redid Express Setup ) - then turned in circles 3 times chanting old eddas.

sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card