Cisco/Pearson Vue alliance

Unanswered Question
Sep 22nd, 2007

Well I took a break from certifying for a few months after I completed my CCNP in April 07. So now I have been studying for my CCSP and was just getting ready to schedule my first exam, SND. Imagine my disappointment when I went to schedule on the Prometrics webpage just to find no sign of Cisco anywhere on the webpage.

After doing a couple of searches online I found a press release by Cisco where they identify their partnership with Pearson Vue as a sole provider and among the verbiage they actually state "To meet global demand, Cisco is moving to a primary-vendor strategy with Pearson VUE"

I dont understand how dramatically cutting down the available testing centers is a way of meeting global demand.?. I live in Ft Myers Florida, I either have to drive to Sarasota or Miami to certify now. For those of you not familiar with Florida, thats over an hour and a half one way provided the wind is in my favor and traffic is perfect. This could be up to 3 hours one way with undue circumstances making it difficult to adhere to scheduling. Ft. Myers may not be the biggest city in the world but its far from being a rural farm town. For the life of me I do not see how this is supposed to help Cisco's certification platform meet global demand other than improving certification value by reducing the number of certified people via limiting the available testing centers.

Does anyone know if Cisco has any intentions in the way of mitigating the impact of their decision by way of an aggressive ramp-up of Pearson-Vue's infrastructure or any other such solution?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cyphur353 Sun, 09/23/2007 - 03:52

You're not the only one hurting - their move effectively cut the number of testing centers in half here in Dallas. You wouldn't think that'd be a huge problem, but the placement of the Vue centers places them in the worst traffic spots in the whole city. A 30 minute drive can easily turn into an hour and a half, even not in rush hour.

Once can only hope Vue intends to expand since they now have this exclusive contract.

Danilo Dy Wed, 09/26/2007 - 05:27

"Global Demand"

That could equate to "less" or "more", depends on which side you're in. I guess there are too many of us :)

I haven't took any exam from VUE though, I want to see how strict they are on checking the examinee ID, etc.. That "Global Demand" could also equate to "security". In the past, except for selected exam centers, the security of some exam centers sucks like they don't care at all who comes in and out for the exam - I hope they don't work in the immigration as they may let the terrorist in.

frogmanclay Thu, 09/27/2007 - 14:05

Well lets see...only one vendor to take the test through. That means they can raise the price, let customer service slide, close a few testing centers to save some money and quit giving out free vouchers if someone has a problem on the test. Sounds like the same reasons monopolies were made illegal in the first place...

I am willing to bet this price raise is the first of several in the next year or so.

This Discussion