Views
Helpful
Replies

Can bootp send across ATM 45M link ?

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have a doubt here. Can bootp send across ATM 45M link,meaning the DHCP Server is at Site A, but user to grab IP address is at another diff geographical location at Site B.

Curious if the bootp traffic can send across with the ip-helper address configured at core Switch Site B.

Thanks..

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Cindy, never gotten into this scenario, however, this is possible by using the ip-helper address command under the interface in your SITE-B WAN router interface connecting to SITE-A where your dhcp server resides thus allowing the udp ports dhcp request from

SITE-B router.. note that helper address will open up other udp ports as well, don't have it in top of my head but if you use this scenario find out the ports you do not need from helper address and in global config mode you can disable the unneeded udp ports with the " no ip forward-protocol " command..

[edit] It can also be done this way: if you have a core switch in your LAN SITE-B and you have say an interface VLAN 12 subnet , under that interface in you simply use the ip helper-address pointing to the HDCP server located in SITE-A then at your Edge WAN router in SITE-B you would forward the dhcp udp ports by using the " ip forward-protocol udp " command, that is if you have a core switch router connected to the WAN router in that site-B.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks Jorge..

I have a Core Switch Site B which connected to a WAN Router at Site B. I will follow your method and will update you guys.

Thanks again..

also remember that you can use multuple Ip helper-address per interface, this is in scenarios where there may be multiple dhcp servers either local and/or across wan network footprint.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: