cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 2950 ios with cna fails

seandarcy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade a 2950T from 12.1(14)EA1a to 1.12(22)EA10a.

I dl'd c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA10a.tar.

In cna, went to Maintenance->Software Upgrade, selected the 2950, and pointed Upgrade Settings to the tar file.

Click Upgrade

It get to Reading the info file, and then

Software upgrade failed.

Any help appreciated.

sean

6 Replies 6

aborole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you check if there are any exceptions or error messages in java console, that will help determine what is the problem - console can be opened by clicking key F2 when CNA window has focus. Other things to consider - does the 2950 device flash have enough space for new image ?

I didn't do the java console, but you're right about space.

Couldn't get tftp to work on windows. I finally got a linux box with tftp and upgraded with cli.

Thanks for the pointer to the right answer.

sean

Actually CNA has its own embedded tftp server so you really should not have to use another tftp server. Even if space was the problem, CNA will explicitly give that error message and also provide a link to open a graphical flash management tool which will allow you to delete the unwanted files from the flash. If possible could you try that option also, I would like to know if there is any bug in CNA which forces you to use CLI and external TFTP server.

CNA did not give me any explicit error message - or least not explicit enough for me to notice it.

As I remember, the far left of the "select" box simply showed upgrade failed.

There may have been another message near the Upgrade button on the bottom, but it only restated that the upgrade failed. I don't remember any other messages, and no link.

To see the detail status messages you have to seelct the row of the device that has error and click "Status" button - this will launch the detail status window for that device and in that you will see the actual error message and also the link for the graphical flash management tool.

boumendil
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You should try an "erase flash" in cli before. Of course, first backup any important file present on the switch.

It's certainly a space problem.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card