Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlans and trunking problem (newbie).

piero.giobbi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

Im trying to learn the basics of vlans and trunking. Im trying to do it by-the-book, just to get a grip on how it all works but i keep failing on this simple task : (. I have a Cisco freshly resetted 2940 with 3 VLANs:

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5

Fa0/6, Fa0/9, Gi0/1

10 external active

20 internal active Fa0/7

30 guests active Fa0/8

1002 fddi-default act/unsup

1003 token-ring-default act/unsup

1004 fddinet-default act/unsup

1005 trnet-default act/unsup

So, for example i want vlan 30 (port 8) to be able to surf thru the gateway (port 1, vlan 10). That would mean that port 1 has to be a trunk port (?). I set it up:

(conf t - int fast 0/1)

switchport access

switchport mode trunk

switchport mode trunk allowed vlans 10,20,30

Here i allow all vlans just to make sure i don't do any easy misstakes. But when i ping from port 8 i can't get out thru the gateway, somethings is wrong or missing.

When i take a look at the vlans i see that one is shutdown, when i try to make it no shutdown the other goes down, like this:

00:35:42: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan10, changed state to up

00:35:43: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan10, changed state to up

Switch(config-if)#interface vlan 30

Switch(config-if)#no shu

Switch(config-if)#

00:35:53: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan30, changed state to up

00:35:53: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan10, changed state to administratively down

00:35:54: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan30, changed state to down

00:35:54: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan10, changed state to down

What am i doing wrong? I have active links on VLAN 10 and VLAN 30, they should both be able to stay active?

All help are greatly apreciated!

thx.

Oh, my conf:

Switch#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1165 bytes

!

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Switch

!

!

ip subnet-zero

!

vtp mode transparent

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

!

!

!

vlan 10

name external

!

vlan 20

name internal

!

vlan 30

name guests

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/2

!

interface FastEthernet0/3

!

interface FastEthernet0/4

!

interface FastEthernet0/5

!

interface FastEthernet0/6

!

interface FastEthernet0/7

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/8

switchport mode access

!

interface FastEthernet0/9

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface Vlan10

no ip address

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

interface Vlan30

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

ip http server

!

line con 0

line vty 5 15

!

!

end

Switch>sh inventory

NAME: "Switch", DESCR: "Cisco Catalyst c2940 switch with 8 10/100 BaseTX ports, 1 100BASE-FX SM uplink po

rts and 1 SFP (Small Form Factor Plugable) Module slot"

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Piero

The first and most important thing to understand here is that your switch is a layer 2 switch. Several of your issues are directly related to this fact.

- a layer 2 switch can have only a single active VLAN interface. This is sometimes confusing because the switch can have several active VLANs but a VLAN interface is a layer 3 interface and a layer 2 switch can have only a single layer 3 interface (which is only for management purposes). This explains why when you no shut one VLAN interface the other VLAN interface goes shutdown.

- a layer 2 switch can forward multiple VLANs (and does not need any interface vlan x to do this) but a layer 2 switch can not forward between VLANs and you need a layer 3 device to do intervlan routing. This explains why you ping from porrt 8 but do not get anywhere. There is no layer 3 intervlan routing in what you have told us.

- a layer 2 switch with multiple VLANs will connect to the layer 3 device (could be a router or could be a layer 3 switch) via a trunk port. So your trunk port on your layer 2 switch needs to be the port that connects to the layer 3 device.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

many thx for the excellent answer! I will go on with layer 3 device on the trunk port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: