cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrading IOS

mayambanzumba
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to downgrade a device, but when I do copy tftp flash, it does ask me if I want to erase the current ios, instead,I get the following error.

copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host [X.X.X.X]?

Source filename [c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin]?

Destination filename [c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin]?

Accessing tftp://X.X.X.X/c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin...

Loading c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin from X.X.X.X (via GigabitEthernet0/1): !

%Error copying tftp://10.250.7.250/c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin (Not enough space on device)

XXB#

The TFTP server is another 3845 I have configured as a tftp server to download the IOS from. I also want to specifically delete the current flash file, but I get the following error:

XXB#erase flash: c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mayamba

I do not have a lot of experience with the 3845 but I believe that you want to use the command delete flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin instead of the command erase flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin. Give it a try with the different command and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

markraves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a bit new at this.

I had a similar problem on my 4500 switch, when upgrading. What I had to do was just to use the command squeeze.

When you erase something from the filesystem, it's not gone until you squeeze it. At Least not on my switch:)After it's squeezed away, try downloading it again.

However, when it's squeezed, it's NO LONGER THERE!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some of the newer routers, such as the 3800 series I believe, support different filesystems on some flash.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e5fb.html

What might not be clear is you can often switch the filesystem mode during the clearing of the flash. Use erase for the one mode or format for the other.

Also some older filesystems, those that are setup with erase, don't all support squeeze.

PS:

Just found another paper on the different filesystems, see: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a00800a7515.shtml

NB: In the last link, the information about commands usage for the "C" filesystem, I believe to be incorrect.

Mayamba

I do not have a lot of experience with the 3845 but I believe that you want to use the command delete flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin instead of the command erase flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin. Give it a try with the different command and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Mayamba

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem is resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read a solution to that problem. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card