Load balancing in DS3 link.... Help

Unanswered Question
Sep 23rd, 2007
User Badges:

Dear All,

I have terminated 2 DS3 link in 4503 switch,of which 1 is active and other is standby,I want to do load balncing in both the link.so that my data can travell in both the links.or I can use both links.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
nikhil_kapoor Sun, 09/23/2007 - 06:14
User Badges:

Hi ,

PLs configure load sharing command under the DS3 interface .

Router(config)# int < DS3 >

Router(config-if)#ip load-sharing per-packet

You can do per destination Load sharing too .

Router(config)# int < DS3 >

Router(config-if)#ip load-sharing per-destination .

For further details pls refer below link .

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s21/pplb.htm

HTH .. Cheers ..NK

Richard Burts Sun, 09/23/2007 - 08:20
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Amit

You indicate in your post that one link is active and one is standby. We need to understand a bit more about how this is set up before we can advise about how to load share (which implies that both are active links). There are many ways that you can establish a backup function (including using the backup interface command, using floating static routes, manipulating the routing metrics to favor one link, by using PBR, etc) and what you will need to do will depend highly on how you have set up the backup.

NK

Note that the ip load-sharing commands are dependent on CEF being enabled (which it is by default). Also I would be very cautious about advocating per packet load share. Per packet load share is likely to increase the frequency of out of order packets and for some applications that can be quite detrimental. Until we know more about the environment and the applications being run it is hard to know whether per packet is advisable or not.

HTH

Rick

nikhil_kapoor Tue, 09/25/2007 - 10:50
User Badges:

Thanks for advise Rick . Will take care in future ..

Cheers ..NK

amit_kulshrestha_2 Sat, 11/03/2007 - 02:27
User Badges:

Hi rburt,

First of all sorry for delay in relping,yes you are correct ,In actual in my setup ,I have two 4503 switch ,which are in hsrp mode and servering lan,for WAN ,i have two DS3 link ,which i actaully want in active active mode, so if my one DS3 link gose down ,another DS3 link serves me for all traffic,also my traffic should be shared on both ,when both links are working ,also one more thing which i want to share that , both of my DS3 links are coming from different location ,but my traffic going to one destination.Diagram which is having ISP is correct network diagram.Pls Guide me.

Attachment: 
paolo bevilacqua Sat, 11/03/2007 - 07:14
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi,

sorry there is no information enough already.

Do you have you own addresses or using public IP by ISP, and if so, from one or both of them ?

Same question for the remote office.

Can you tell us how do you connect a 4503 switch switch to DS3, considering that the 4500 series does not support any type of WAN or serial interface ?

Actions

This Discussion