cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OOB access to a router

mayambanzumba
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to all this, I have been given a telephone number for OOB access, what commands do I enter to connect to a router by OOB.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mayamba

Good. That makes it easier to answer your question. In Windows select Contol Panel, then select Network and Internet connections, then select Create a connection to the network at your workplace. In the window that comes up make sure that the button for dialup is selected and click next. In the New Connection window that comes up you will give this connection a name (something descriptive is helpful). Click next and you get to the screen where you put in the phone number. The next screen you define whether to use smart card or not. On the next screen you click Finish and the wizzard completes the process and creates the connection.

After this you might want to go to the list of network connections, right click on the connection that you have just created, and select properties to view and verify the parameters used to define the connection. The details may depend on your situation but here is what I generally use:

- in the General tab check that the correct modem is selected (in case your PC has more than one choice) and that the phone number is correct (including any access codes that you might need).

-on the Options tab I like to choose Display progress while connecting, Prompt for name and password, and Prompt for phone number.

- on the Security tab I select typical.

- on the Networking tab be sure to select the PPP option.

- on the Advanced tab you select whether you want the Windows firewall on or off.

Then you should be able to connect your PC's modem port to an analog phone line, double click that connection, and establish OOB access to the router. The router should prompt for userID and password and you should have access.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mayamba

I am not clear whether you have been given a phone number for a router and you need to configure the router for OOB access or whether that router is already configured for OOB. Perhaps you can clarify?

The easy case is that the router is already configured for OOB and you just need to know how to access it. The details will depend on what kind of PC you have (Windows, MAC, xNIX, etc) and perhaps which version of OS. If you have a Windows PC then you just want to configure under Windows dialing (exact terminology depends on what flavor of Windows).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

The router has already been configured for OOB and I have been given the telephone number. The OS I am using is Windows XP professional.

Thanks

Mayamba

Mayamba

Good. That makes it easier to answer your question. In Windows select Contol Panel, then select Network and Internet connections, then select Create a connection to the network at your workplace. In the window that comes up make sure that the button for dialup is selected and click next. In the New Connection window that comes up you will give this connection a name (something descriptive is helpful). Click next and you get to the screen where you put in the phone number. The next screen you define whether to use smart card or not. On the next screen you click Finish and the wizzard completes the process and creates the connection.

After this you might want to go to the list of network connections, right click on the connection that you have just created, and select properties to view and verify the parameters used to define the connection. The details may depend on your situation but here is what I generally use:

- in the General tab check that the correct modem is selected (in case your PC has more than one choice) and that the phone number is correct (including any access codes that you might need).

-on the Options tab I like to choose Display progress while connecting, Prompt for name and password, and Prompt for phone number.

- on the Security tab I select typical.

- on the Networking tab be sure to select the PPP option.

- on the Advanced tab you select whether you want the Windows firewall on or off.

Then you should be able to connect your PC's modem port to an analog phone line, double click that connection, and establish OOB access to the router. The router should prompt for userID and password and you should have access.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: