Views
Helpful
Replies

StackWise Technology

dhavaltandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some query about StackWise Switching.

what i understand for stack wise is that number of switches are physically connected sharing the information between all the switches and gives single point of management, also provide redundancy through stack cable with 16Gbps each direction.

my question is, is all the switches maintain same MAC Table. and if i login to master switch can i see all the port in stac on master or i need to login to all the switches to check out.

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dhaval,

You do not need to login on all the switches individually and can login on one single switch and check the interface details and configuration for all the ports in switch stack. Also single mac address is maintained and you can see the details of mac address learned on all the ports on switches in stack from one single switch.

You will see something like this

------------------ show mac-address-table ------------------

Mac Address Table

-------------------------------------------

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports

---- ----------- -------- -----

1 0003.6b65.xxxx DYNAMIC Gi1/0/2

1 0004.2738.xxxx DYNAMIC Gi2/0/2

Where gig1/0/2 is the interface on switch 1 in stack and gig2/0/2 is the interface from switch 2 in a stack but we got this output logging into one switch only.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

hi

Ankur

thanks for taking interest.

one mroe thing, if i wan to configure teh VLAN and i have three 24 port switch, can i create the VLAN as much i want from Master Switch only.?

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

Hi Dhaval,

Yes you are right. In a switch stack, the whole stack uses the same vlan.dat file and running configuration.

The vlan.dat file is stored in flash memory on the stack master. Stack members have a vlan.dat file that is consistent with the stack master

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

HI

Ankur

thanks i got my confusion clear.

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

Something else that might also help your understanding. A 3750 stack behaves much like a chassis, except instead of having a dedicated supervisor, the master is elected. The stack information is shared with all members. Which is why the stack will run even if the current master fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco