Channelized E1 interfaces

Unanswered Question
Sep 24th, 2007
User Badges:

What does it mean when the status of an interface shows as "reset"?

This is after issueing the show ip interface brief, as below:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Serial1/0:0 192.168.x.y YES NVRAM reset down

Serial1/0:1 192.168.x.y YES NVRAM reset down

Serial1/0:2 192.168.x.y YES NVRAM reset down

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Danilo Dy Mon, 09/24/2007 - 06:47
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Hi,

Normally interface status is up, down, or administratively down. If it shows "reset" it could be a faulty hardware/controller (local or remote).

Can you post the output of "show controller e1"?

Regards,

Dandy

Kevin Dorrell Mon, 09/24/2007 - 07:01
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Maybe this state is specific to channelised cards, and is the state of the B-channels if the D-channel is down. Do all the channels say "reset", even S1/0:15 or S1/0:23?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

taamer1973 Mon, 09/24/2007 - 08:30
User Badges:

I am trying to help troubleshoot the problem overseas. The router is in another country so I can't get more show outputs quickly.

Another question is if the controller is configured but there is not interface cable connected to it, will that show it to be RESET? I am starting to wonder if the cable is plugged into the wrong port on the module.

bapatsubodh Mon, 09/24/2007 - 09:43
User Badges:

Hi,

It seems that your controller is down. Because serial is shown as reset when E1 controller is down. As your router is in another country you can not check a local loop from Modem towards router. That is a very good test we can carry out on any type of WAN Link.

See the output of command

sh controller e1 1/1 ( or whatever slot port number is )

Most likely it will show you as controller is down. Try shut and no shut on controller it works many times.

HTH !!

Regards

Subodh

Actions

This Discussion