Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager : Unable to monitor devices in custom view

Hello,

I have a problem with CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 on Windows.

In fact, I want to monitor our devices in CM to see if a device is reachable or unreachable (green or

red). However, we have about 300 devices and we cannot put all of them

in a single map. I created custom views (in RME first then in Campus Manager) and it shows the devices

correctly but the icons of the devices are always green including devices that are unreachable (in Layer 2 View).

So, we cannot see if a device become unreachable.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How often is CM polling these devices?

How are you confirming they are unreachable? SNMP polls failing?

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DO NOT use the topology map for monitoring the state of your network. It is just not designed to fullfill this job. The topo map relys on a periodic polling and does not work near realtime. It is more a documentation tool then a monitoring tool!!

DFM ist the application to see (potential) problems with interfaces, devices and performance.

Also you can use the 'automatic action' feature in RME, based on specific syslog messages to send email or run a script to get informed if there are anomalies in your network.

Hi,

Thank you for the answer.

If I well understood, I don't have other ways that put all devices in the Layer 2 View.

Thanks

HP OpenView Network Node Manager Advanced Edition 7.5.1 should be able to fill your layer-2 monitoring need. Note you want to get the "Advanced Edition" because IIRC the "Standard Edition" is limited to the traditional layer-3 "netmon" monitoring only. NNM AE is supposed to be able to draw your layer-2 topology automagically for you, although in v7.5.1 you can now create/edit your own maps in "containers". HPOV NNM is vendor-neutral, though not too surprisingly there're a lot enhancements specifically for Cisco hardwares.

The status of a device should be the same in any group that contains a representation of this device, no matter if the group was created by the system or by a user. So if this is not the case in your scenario somthing is wrong.

But always keep in mind, for the Campus Topology Map, the colour status of green means 'device is reachable via SNMP' and red means 'device is unreachable via SNMP' - so if a device is red it could still be doing its switching or routing job...

the topo map is just the wrong place to get the information you want to have...

Thanks all,

I confirm that I don't have problem with SNMP, or something else on the network.

The status of my devices in the Layer 2 View are green (for reachable) and red (for unreachable).

I know HPOV NNM and I think it's the best monitor software but it's very expensive.

I know Whats'Up from IPSwitch and I like wery much because it's very easy to configure it.

Are there other monitor software that are like HPOV that you recomande me ?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: