Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client: Reason 412 - The remote peer is no longer responding

Race_Machine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we use the cisco vpn client since several years, but one problem is "still alive".

Several clients have the problem that the connection is terminated after some minutes (sometimes already after 2-5 minutes) with the in the title mentioned failure message.

We discovered that this problem will not occure if we, for example, make a permanent ping to a computer in the vpn. Also when there is permanent traffic the vpn client seems not to crash.

So, there must be a parameter that causes the vpn client to "think" after some time without traffic that the connection has been terminanted. And then the client termintes itsself, too.

Since now I didn't find a solution for this problem.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a solution for this behaviour?

Thank you.

Best regards!

7 Replies 7

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

The error, "Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the Client. Reason 412. The remote peer is no longer responding". Means that the software VPN Client detected that the VPN server is not responding anymore and deleted the connection. Now, this is caused by several different issues, for example:

The User, is behind a firewall that is blocking UDP 4500/500 and/or ESP.

The VPN client is using connecting on TCP and that is blocked.

The internet connection is not good and some pkts are not reaching the VPN concentrator/server or the replies fromthe server/concentrator aren't getting to the

client, hence the client thinks the server is no longer available.

The VPN client is behind a NAT device and the VPN Server doesn't have NAT-T enabled. In

this case the user will not be able to send or receive traffic at all. It will be able to

connect but that's all. After some time the Software client deletes the VPN tunnel.

Regards,

~JG

Hi,

I had a similar problem. I could connect via my hotspot but at home, I had 412 error.

In my  router I enabled "Ipsec PassThrough" and now is OK.

:D

Kind regards,

MBrito

khinze
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this issue as well. I have also recreated with client on a switch port next door to ASA's Outside interface. So no Firewall/NAT-T, etc. Although those are all valid reasons for the error 412, sometimes the 412 kicks off and can't explain. Most of the time I believe it has to do with congested lines or the connection dropping too much traffic for whatever reason.

Only to avoid misunderstandings: the establishing of a vpn connection it not the problem. The problem is a timeout and therefor a terminating of the vpn connection.

This terminating can be avoided if you, for excample, make a pemenent ping to a server in the vpn. Then the vpn clients seems to notice that the connection is used or "is alive".

If you don't produce traffic some minutes, the vpn client normally disconnects very soon ...?!?

I have the exact same problem with several clients (mac, Linux and XP) however I don't encounter is myself (on the same network).

One thing we did notice was that it seemed to improve somewhat when we changed from UDP to TCP.

I believe that it is due to network congestion but am not really sure (like I said - I don't have the problem but almost everyone else in the business does).

Gareth Gudger
Level 1
Level 1

This may not be a problem with the client side at all, but with the firewall configuration itself. I had this same error code and it turned out to be a problem with a NAT statement on the ASA I was trying to VPN to.

Check here for more info.

http://supertekboy.com/2014/01/15/cisco-vpn-reason-412-the-remote-peer-is-no-longer-responding/

nakshitech
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: