Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS client with ASA 5505

p.pegouret
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want my ASA be the DNS server of my PC. So i configure that on my PC, And on the ASA, I enable DNS lookup on inside interface, and I indicate the IP adress of my ISP to the ASA. I want The ASA forward DNS requast to the ISP DNS. But It doessn't work in this configuration.

If i put the IP address of the ISP's DNS on my PC, it works fine...

any idea?

6 Replies 6

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

I understand what you're trying to do I'm just not sure that is really the function of this command.

"The DNS Client pane shows the DNS server groups and DNS lookup information for the security appliance, so it can resolve server names to IP addresses in your WebVPN configuration or certificate configuration. Other features that define server names (such as AAA) do not support DNS resolution. In those cases, you must enter the IP address or manually resolve the name to an IP address by adding the server name in the Network Object Groups pane."

seehundnz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Yeah, I would like to do the same thing. Also ASA 5505.

For easier configuration of my client pc's I would like to use the asa as a dns-server, so that it forwards the requests to the dns-servers of my isp.

Is it possible to set something up like that? I if yes, how?

thank you very much for your help.

dhcpd auto_config

Mark Luther
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue as above. I can't figure out how to have the ASA resolve DNS. After I enter dhcpd auto-config, what should I do?

I have entered the following lines, but things don't seem to be working. I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance!

dhcpd dns 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 interface INSIDE

dhcpd auto_config OUTSIDE interface INSIDE

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All

What you want is NOT! possible with PIX or ASA. ASA or PIX does not act as a DNS server to resolve or forward queries.

Regards

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using the ASA to be the DHCP, you also need to add the DNS servers in it.

Device Management ->DHCP -> DHCP Server

If you have a different DHCP Server make sure that you add the DNS servers in there and use DHCP Relay instead

Device Management ->DHCP -> DHCP Relay add the DHCP server IP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card