cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS FTP Backup

ron.schmidt
Level 1
Level 1

I am running WCS 4.0 under Linux (RHEL 4) and am trying to figure out how to automatically FTP the most recent backup file off to an external FTP server. I had hoped to use an FTP client to pull the file from WCS as it seems to be running a FTP server but even Cisco TAC can't provide any info on how to login to WCS via FTP. So I guess I'm left with the option of using the FTP client on WCS to copy (put) the file to another FTP server (as opposed to getting it from WCS). I have WCS configured to automatically back itself up every 7 days and to keep 7 versions of the backup. These 7 backup files are stored in /opt/backups/WCSBackup. I need to find a way to copy the most recent file each week to a common file name, such as "WCS_Backup", and then use FTP to copy it off the WCS server to an external FTP server. I figured out how to automate the FTP part using .netrc but am having trouble figuring out the file renaming and copy logic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

If you do a man cp, you will see that there is a backup flag you can use.

"cp --backup"

You can also use cron to schedule it.

I was in a rush when I posted earlier. There is also rsync that will easily do what you are asking for.

Here is a sample of a simple backup script

http://www.linux-backup.net/scripts/Backup.gpg.pl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card