Views
Helpful
Replies

Is This Doable

thaershunnar
Level 1
Level 1

hi all.

i have the following scenario and i want to see if it doable or not..

i have an 2600 router with two fastethernet interfaces.

the Scenario:

1- i want to connect Fast0/0 to the isp.

2- i want to connect Fast0/1 to a network with two vlans, so i want to implement two subinterfaces on it fast0/1.1 and fast0/1.50 with dot1q protocol, and each subinterface is the gatway for 1 of the vlans.

will this scenario work and both of the vlans can gain access to the internet ??

7 Replies 7

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, this will work provided you have the IP-plus feature set. I'm not sure whether the IP base feature set supports dot1q. Try the encapsulation command - if it accepts it, then you can do it.

I suppose you are using NAT towards the ISP rather than global Internet addresses. In that case, you will need to set ip nat outside on your F0/0, and ip nat inside on each of your F0/1 subinterfaces, and then the NAT translation commands in the normal way.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thank Kevin..

Unfortunately the router i have does not support ip plus.. so immediatly i searched cisco to upgrade the ios and i found a lot of versions that can do the work.

the problem now is that i need to upgrade the hrdware too, i am not really sure.

for exampl one of the images i found is

c2600-is-mz.123-3c.bin (64/32)

and all the images have the number (64/32)

but the show version command on my router shows the following

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 27648K/5120K bytes of mem

ory.

so i think i have a memory problem.. am i right ????

It would seem that you need to upgrade the memory.

But before you do so, just check that your existing software does not support dot1q. What version is it?

interface F0/1.50

encapsulation ?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

i checked that befor, and no it does not.

thanks for the hint.

I have a new thought..

as i told you befor the sho version command shows:

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 27648K/5120K bytes of memory.

but in other lines in shows:

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

so i think that my router is (32/16). what do you think ???

No, I'm afraid the 32 refers to Megs of DRAM, not to the NVRAM. You seem to have enough flash though.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg.

Returning to the main subject, i want to say i am not using NAT, and the Servers connected to the gatway have public IPs, i just need to seperate the servers into 2 vlans. So there is no NAT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card