cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

msg on 6513 Switch arp: ether address is broadcast for ip...

imuonagor
Level 1
Level 1

I have an urgent issue. We notice that we can't ping our company's core switch Catalyst 6513 and i logged in and saw high broadcast traffic from PCs on a subnet configured as a secondary ip address on the default head office vlan. I remove the secondary subnet ip and the high broadcast traffic reduce. But i now get a log on the console that says: arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address a000468! I dont understand this message. Please help urgently. Thnks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,please check arp manual to understand this error.

arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address %d.%d.%d.%d!: ARP requested information for a host, and received an answer indicating that the host's ethernet address is the ethernet broadcast address. This indicates a misconfigured or broken device.

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=arp

Hope this clarifies.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, can you please check the arp entry for 10.0.64.104 in your 6k.Also please check if you have a mac entry in the cam table.this may give a clue.

Thanks Nambi... the log message has stopped after a while and without me doing anything. I still checked the arp table. But I didn't see any entry for 10.0.64.104. Actually we don't have 10.0.64.0 subnet on our network. Is that what the a000468! works out to? Please how did you work out the ip address 10.0.64.104? Thanks a million.

Hi,if you convert a000468 to decimal you will get the IP address 10.0.64.104.

Hi,please check arp manual to understand this error.

arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address %d.%d.%d.%d!: ARP requested information for a host, and received an answer indicating that the host's ethernet address is the ethernet broadcast address. This indicates a misconfigured or broken device.

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=arp

Hope this clarifies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: