cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750E X2 10 Gig Eth Links

nascoentr
Level 1
Level 1

We will be deploying a VOIP solution with VOIP Phones and the CISCO Call Manager and hence require switches to support POE

I have selected the switch below, please let me know whether my selection is OK

Cisco Catalyst 3750E-48PD-F

48 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports with 15.4 watts PoE on all 48 ports and 2 X2 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks

Secondly, we have 3COM switches with standard RJ45 Gigabit ports, how do I connect them to the X2 10 Gig ports ? What are my options...

12 Replies 12

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just make sure you have the correct power supplies for your expected POE usage.

If the 3COM ports are copper, you should be able to connect them to any of the copper ports on 3750E. If fiber, you need to use the TwinGig Converter Module, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7077/products_data_sheet0900aecd805bbee3.html.

Thanks for the quick reply

Are you are talking of the correct power supplies for the VOIP Phones or the 3750E Switches

Yes, the 3COM ports are copper RJ45. I'd just like to confirm, I can connect as under:

3COM Uplink Port (copper RJ45)

CISCO Any of the 48 ports (copper RJ45 ports)

re: power supply - for the 3750Es

I would hope the model you want comes with the C3K-PWR-1150WAC.

As far as I know, copper to copper should be fine, as long as you have the correct pin outs on the cable (if the 3COM uplink port has the crossed pins vs. standard client port, should be able to use normal client cable)

Hi Joseph,

The WS-C3750E-48PD-EF switch comes with power supplies (see below)

48 10/100/1000 PoE ports + 2 X2-based 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports

64-Gbps, high-speed StackWise Plus stacking

68-Gbps, wire rate backplane

Field-replaceable 1150WAC power supply and fan tray

740W available for PoE, allowing full 15.4W to all 48 ports

1 rack unit (RU) stackable multilayer switch

IPv6

IP Services software feature set (IPS)

Provides full IPv4 dynamic routing

Then why do I need the "C3K-PWR-1150WAC" power supply as you mentioned ?

"Then why do I need the "C3K-PWR-1150WAC" power supply as you mentioned ?"

You don't since you noted the model comes with "Field-replaceable 1150WAC power supply and fan tray ". As I wrote, I expected it to, but just want to make sure.

No sure why someone is low rating the good answers fro Joseph, here is my 5 to correct this lamentable behavior.

Thank you Paolo. That was very considerate.

The original question poster appears to be new to the forum and I suspect he was trying to rate fairly.

Exactly Paolo, Joseph has been very helpful

I was just trying to follow the chart below :-)

5 Extremely Helpful

4 Very Helpful

3 Helpful

2 Somewhat Helpful

1 Not Helpful

Another thing, we require 3 of the switches "WS-C3750E-48PD-EF", 2 in the switch cabinet on the ground floor and 1 in the data center on the first floor

Which cables do I need, I'm confused ?

==============================================

LC to SC Cables for the Catalyst 3750-E Series

==============================================

1. CSS5-CABLX-LCSC=

CSS11500 10-Meter Fiber Single Mode LX LC-to-SC Connectors

2. CSS5-CABSX-LC=

CSS11500 10-Meter Fiber Multimode SX LC Connectors

3. CSS5-CABSX-LCSC=

CSS11500 10-Meter Fiber Multimode SX LC-to-SC Connectors

Fiber patch cables?

Choice will depend on whether you plan to use the 10 gig or gig fiber, distance, and installed fiber. Actual transceiver module choice is also impacted.

I am relatively new to Fiber and 10 Gig Uplinking Technology... Hence pardon me in advance :-)

Considering that the modules used are the ones that are default with the switch which is "2 X2-based 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports"

Now, assuming the 4 cases below:

Case 1: I use 10 Gig Fiber, cabling distance within the switch rack

Case 2: I use Gig Fiber, cabling distance within the switch rack

Case 3: I use 10 Gig Fiber, cabling distance is 30 metres

Case 4: I use Gig Fiber, cabling distance is 30 metres

In the 4 cases above, what connectors do I use ? Single Mode or Multi Mode, LC or LX or SX

All very confusing :-(

I don't generally do hands on with cables, so someone else might need to advise on specifics. However, some pointers:

1) (copper) 10GBASE-CX4 Module supports link lengths of up to 15m on CX4 cable.

2) recommend using normal copper gig port, could use 1000BASE-SX SFP (for Multimode Fiber Only)

3) (new) X2-10GB-SR with correct cable or X2-10GB-LRM

4) recommend using normal copper gig port, could use 1000BASE-SX SFP (for Multimode Fiber Only)

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html for information on X2 10 gig

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html for information of SFP gig fiber

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: