cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Metro E Circuits, Different Providers: Fail Over?

informationage
Level 1
Level 1

I Currently have a 1000Mb Metro E port with Provider A that's in production. We recently got a second, 10Mb circuit with Provider B. Both of these links are transports from our location to a co-lo facility where our internet routers are.

I'm wanting to setup this second link for fail over. The two links will be terminated on 4500 switches (currently statically routing), and both connections have different vlans.

Any advice where to start with this?

6 Replies 6

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Nathan,

A dynamic routing protocol like EIGRP or OSPF would solve your problem nicely. The gig link would normally carry all traffic, and failover would occur dynamically to your 10mb when needed.

An alternative would be PBR (policy based routing) with tracking, but dynamic routing would be much simplier.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Thank for the reply!

I'll look into the routing protocols some more, my initial research showed that EIGRP would be much easier to implement giving the simpler setup I'm using. Any input?

Yes, EIGRP is always the first choice for internal routing unless you have a need to interoperate with non-Cisco routers.

Is EIGRP compatible with inter-vlan routing, which is what I'm currently using?

Is EIGRP compatible with inter-vlan routing, which is what I'm currently using?

Yes, though I am not a 4500 guru, I believe all code versions support EIGRP. If in doubt from config mode try:

router eigrp 100

If it takes the command, you can enter a network and be off and running.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco