cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple 851 config not routing - is it my VLAN?

jdigjudy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble with an out-of-the-box 851 that I simply want to configure for a stub network to the world.

Its fast4 is on the 132.239.x.x network, plugged into a 132.239.x.x switch, and machines in the 132.239. world can ping that interface. It can ping out.

Its VLAN1 is the 10.0.0.x network, plugged into a 10.0.0.x switch, and machines in the 10. world can ping that interface -- BUT they can not ping anything on the 132.239. network.

I'm no expert with VLANs and am wondering what I am missing here... would appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

edward.esgro
Level 1
Level 1

If you are pinging across network boundaries it would have nothing to do with VLANs.

It seems that there is no routing enabled on the device or an access list or something is blocking your request.

confirm you have ip routing enabled.

show ip route

if you see two connected routes you should be good there.

Try pinging hosts on the 10.x.x.x network sourcing as the 132.239.x.x interface on the router.

Drat. Well, I am truly stumped.

I am able to ping hosts on the 10 network from the 132 interface on the router (hadn't tried that yet!)... but can't ping 132 network from the 10 interface on the router.

Here's my sh ip route:

mezz-gw#sh ip route

Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2

i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2

ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route

o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is 132.239.4.1 to network 0.0.0.0

C 10.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Vlan1

132.239.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C 132.239.4.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet4

S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 132.239.4.1

I cleared the router and started over -- what I needed was to NAT the 10 network because our global network is designed to not allow 10 to get outside. We wanted 10 to NOT be reachable from outside, but wanted 10 to be able to get to the "cloud".

I'm attaching the configuration that works.

Thanks for the help!

- Judy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: