cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fixing flapping tunnels

voiper_99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have quite a large VTI network with three headends. At times the spokes start to flap one or two of their tunnels to the headends and this continues until I manually shut down the interface and bring it back up.

Is there a way I can automate this procedure? I was thinking about IP Event Dampening but this does not shut the interface down so the issue will continue. I was also thinking about an EEM applet but am not too experienced with EEM and my attempts so far have not resolved the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Try to lower the MTU of the GRE tunnel from 1436 to 1400 on both sides

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Do you get any useful messages with the flap?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi, thanks for the replies.

In regards to the GRE comment, I should have mentioned earlier we are using VTI. Also, I do not think it would be an MTU issue as the issue occurs rarely (about twice a week, most times it is a different site) and we have over 130 sites setup. It is not a massive issue but it would be good if we could fix it.

And nope, no useful error messages. It just says the interface goes down then it comes up a few seconds later then goes down & continues to flap in that fashion until someone manually shuts the interface down and brings it back up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card