cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Flow

robert.c.davis4
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to manipulate the flow of traffic on a network?

It has become necessary for our campus network to have all traffic on port 80/443 go through a smart filter server. Due to the current set up of the network, access control lists would open too many bee hives to implement.

Is there any other solution to funneling this traffic down to through this server, and then out to the internet?

I know the question is broad, but I'm simply looking for ideas at this point.

(6500/4500/3550 switches)

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert

There is a feature named Policy Based Routing which allows your routing devices to forward certain types of traffic (which you specify) in ways that are different from the normal routing table. So you could identify any traffic that is TCP on port 80 or on port 443 and send them to a different next hop. I believe that this feature is the best solution for what you are attempting to achieve. What it would take to implement it and how well it would work could only be determined by someone who knew your environment.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the idea. I will certainly look into it.

Ok, I actually found a few things that will really work. Thanks a bunch Rick!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card