cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CS-MARS syslog raw file import

r.spiandorello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to import a raw syslog file of a device generated a few days before CS-MARS installation: how to ?

thank you in advance

4 Replies 4

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

This is the first time I have heard this request.

I don't think it can be done.

Among other things the time and date would be for events which happened prior to the creation of the database in MARS.

The request come from the replacement of cs-mars 50 with cs-mars 110R.

I can export syslog raw file from 50 model and I need to import to the new 110R (5.2 s.o. version)

Paul's right, it can't be done...at least not without some other application to read in the file and re-send the syslogs. It wouldn't serve much use anyway, last I checked MARS timestamped most events based on when they were received so the data would be all wrong. You might take a look at the 4.3.1 which was just released, it contains some sort of functionality to move data from the old hardware to the new.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/ciscosec/mars/4_3/rn431.pdf

My only thought is that if you are trying to get the historical data into MARS for trend analysis, you can use a Python script to concatenate the current Archived files from the new MARS and an external connector to the location of the old MARS content which I assume is in a flat file.

You could also use a script to combine the two in a SQL database.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: