Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade with redundant sup modules

I have a 6509 with redundant SUP 720s. One is active the other is hot standby. How can I upgrade the IOS code without any down time?

2 Replies 2

jphilope
Level 3
Level 3

First, upgrade the code on both Sups file tems. Do that by placing the code in the bootdisk and the slavebootdisk. Update your "Boot System" config line to point at the new code. Once the code is loaded you can reload the slave Sup with the "HW-Module Module # boot" command [where # is the slot of your backup Sup]. This is done in EXEC mode, but not CONFIG mode.

When it finishes reloading, you will see it in COLD-Standby condition. If you force a switchover with the command RED FORCE, you will come up on the backup sup and the new code after about half a minute. YOU WILL LOSE SOME FUNCTIONALITY DURING THIS TIME (i.e. L3 uplinks, L3, IVR, etc). But it will be minimal. Once you come back up from the switch, [what was] the primary Sup will reload with the new code.

These steps only apply for the Non-Modular code. The modular code is almost the same process, however, the installation of that code has more steps and is [may be] loaded to a different location.

It is helpful if you issue the Term Mon command if you are not attached directly to the console port.

HTH

Jim

Do the line cards need to be reloaded at all? Obviously if so, this would introduce downtime on that card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: