cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for integrating a 3 point metro-e in to our network.

j4boat2232
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have just started to integrate a new 3 point metro-e wan connection to our main school office. We are moving from point to point T-1?s to 10 MB metro-e. At the main office we have a 50 MB going out to 3 other sites at 10 MB each. For two of the remote sites we have purchase new routers ? which should be straight up configurations. We are having an issue connecting the main office with the 3rd site.

At the main office we have a Catalyst 4006 and at the 3rd site we are trying to connect to a catalyst 4503.

I have attached configurations from both the main office and 3rd remote site as well as a basic diagram of how everything physically connects. These configurations are not working ? we feel that it is a gateway type problem ? but have reached no great solutions. We have tried posting to a different forum ? but so far unable to find the a solution that helps.

The problem I am having is on the remote side. I can reach the remote catalyst from the main site, but I cannot reach the devices on the other side of the remote catalyst however the remote catalyst can see devices on it's side as well as devices at the main site.

We have also tried trunking the ports on both sides and using encapsulation dot10q ? but when we do this the 3rd site is able to pick up a DHCP address from the main office ? and we do not feel that is correct. But it works ? is this not causing a large broad cast domain?

If you have any questions or need further configuration data please let me know.

The previous connection was a T1 connection through a 2620 but this is not compatible with metro-e so we are trying to connect directly through the catalysts.

The other two connection points will be connecting through cisco routers that are compatible with metro-e so i don't think I'll have problems with those sites.

Any and all help is greatly welcome ? as this is our 1st metro e project and want to make sure we are following best practices for this type of integration.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Jeff, form your config it seems you main site and remote site are not adjacent in eigrp.

Try adding a network statement for the 171.0 link and form a neighbourship between main and remote site for the L3 routing to work.

Upon this you should be able to reach the remote site hosts.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Jeff, form your config it seems you main site and remote site are not adjacent in eigrp.

Try adding a network statement for the 171.0 link and form a neighbourship between main and remote site for the L3 routing to work.

Upon this you should be able to reach the remote site hosts.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Swaroop,

Thank you - that did the trick - we total missed that - some time you get to close to the forest to see the trees.

Thank you again and keep up the great work you do.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: