Appletalk issue

Unanswered Question
Sep 26th, 2007

Hi ,

I am facing problem in access share via Mac OS8.1. My network core switch comprise of following IOS version

Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(31)SGA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

and the same share is working for the VLAN in the cisco 6500 core switch having software version of

s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Can you help me to identify whether it is due to core the share is not working or do I need to change something in the MAC OS.

I would appriciate if some one provide me with answer of what need to be done.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
paul.matthews Thu, 09/27/2007 - 23:36

Hi Siva - what is your problem? Have you tried configuring and it did not work, or are you looking for help on how to configure appletalk?

sivakumar.ks Fri, 09/28/2007 - 01:33

Hi Paul,

yes I am looking for help to configuring Appletalk in the above mentioned IOS. Please assist me.

paul.matthews Fri, 09/28/2007 - 07:47

Having a quick look, it looks like your 4500 software supports appletalk, but the 6500 does not - at a quick look you may need to move up to an enterprise version.

Beyond that the what to do at this stage, the best I can do is refer you to

What I will add though is that you may wish to consider the easy options - A VLAN or just bridge it.

I don't know what your network looks like, and where devices are that want to use appletalk. If they are on a campus type network, and only a few wish to use appletalk, consider creating a VLAN for devices that want to do appletalk. They will then just be on the same logical LAN and as far as you are concerned it should just work.

If they are remote, you could still look at bridging if you don't want to buy the software upgrade.

This Discussion