Passed 642-642 QoS !

Unanswered Question
Sep 27th, 2007

Hooray! I passed the QoS Paper with 964 recently on first attempt :D Passing this exam would be much easier if you had passed the ONT paper. This is because ONT covers most of the topics in 642-642 quite sufficiently. However topics like LAN QoS, traffic shaping/policing, and QoS best-practices are given more extensive coverage in 642-642.

By the way, I also passed my ONT and ISCW papers on 5-Jul-07 and attained my CCNP certification finally on that day :))

One more paper to attempt soon is 642-691 BGP+MPLS before I get certified as CCIP :- ))

Many thanks to all in the forum!

Best Regard's,

Peter Lee

Overall Rating: 2.5 (2 ratings)
skumargautam Thu, 09/27/2007 - 06:22

Hi Peter

Last Monday sep 24th I passed my ONT. So what do you think how much more study do i need to do to pass QoS exam. Please let me know the material you used to pass this exam.

Thanks.

yclee_peter88 Thu, 09/27/2007 - 08:23

Hi Skumar,

I would still suggest you to review all the fundamental QoS concepts like traffic classification and marking, congestion management/avoidance, MQC/AutoQoS/NBAR, etc which you certainly had come across in ONT, but 642-642 will test you on these same concepts in much deeper scope.

Other topics which don't cover fully in ONT are stuff like LAN QoS, traffic shaping/policing, FR traffic-shaping/FRF.12 LFI, and end-to-end QoS. For examples, the 642-642 exam requires you to know how to configure traffic shaping/policing, QoS for Cisco Catalyst; in ONT they just brief you on the basic concepts.

I use the following material to prepare for this exam :

1) IP Telephony Self-Study: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition (I strongly recommend this book)

2) Implementing Cisco QoS, Student Guide Volume 1 & 2 (ver 2.2)

3) CBT Nuggets for Cisco QoS by Jeremy Cioara

You might want to take a closer look at the 642-642 exam blueprint here : www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-642.html to help you in this exam preparation.

Hope the above helps. Thanks.

Best Regard's,

Peter Lee

skumargautam Thu, 09/27/2007 - 08:58

Thanks for quick reply Peter, this information will be really helpul. I have already studied some configuration on shapping/policing. Before I took ONT I read three of the chapters from CCIE R/S book that has some configuration examples. One more question where can we get Student Study guide (that you mentioned at number 2).

thanks

yclee_peter88 Thu, 09/27/2007 - 20:33

Hi Skumar,

I just uploaded the Student Guide ebooks you requested to Rapidshare. You can download it at http://rapidshare.com/files/58772866/QoS_Student_Guide_v2.2.zip

Alternatively, there is also a flash tutorial version of the QoS student guide from Knowledgenet available at http://knowfree.net/2006/10/26/knowledg

enet-implementing-cisco-quality-of-service-qos-v20.kf

The Knowledgenet series is a great tool to make learning more interesting.

So are you taking 642-642 for your CCVP or CCIP certification pursue ?

skumargautam Sun, 09/30/2007 - 04:19

Thank you Peter! Thanks for uploading the study material. It's great. This exam I want to take for CCIP. But for now this December I am taking CCIE Training for written exam. At the same time I am preparing for CCIP.

rajeshkumar.a Mon, 09/08/2008 - 02:53

Hi Peter Lee

i just thanks for your guidelines to people who are doing certifications. I am rajesh kumar from india presently holding CCNP, plus i am going to complete my CCIP. I am in the process of preparing my Last exam QOS. As you guided i am going to use the book 1) IP Telephony Self-Study: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition . Can you pslupload this book and same is not available with me.

Advance Thanks for your help.

Thanks and Best Regards

A.Rajesh kumar

rajeshkumar.a Wed, 09/10/2008 - 03:01

Hi all

Can anybody help me to get the soft copy of the book.

IP Telephony Self-Study: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide, 2nd Edition

Regards

A Rajeshkumar

Scott Cannon Sun, 09/14/2008 - 15:54

Hi Peter, Skumar,

Thanks for all your input on this thread. I'm currently pursuing the 642-642 for CCIP.

Peter, could you please let me know what materials you are using for the BGP and MPLS exams? I have another topic open dedicated to this: http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Career%20Certifications&topic=Certifications&topicID=.ee702b1&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc1d190

It sounds like you are intent on doing the bundled exam. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I've always thought seperating the exams ensured a more in-depth understanding of the subject matter.

Thanks

Rgds

Scott

babatunde_sanda Wed, 09/10/2008 - 15:10

Hello yclee_peter88 ,

I just took the ISCW today and failed. Frankly am not so upset cause I felt I was doing well until the result said I failed. Please what materials did you use for this exam. Any help gratelly appreciated. I understand I might be able to retake the exam for free (second chance). But i want to be extra prepared before going back.

This exam is what is standing between me and the ONT exam am more familiar with.

Thanks.

Actions

This Discussion