Helpful
Replies

1200 recovery possible?

tsrader
Level 1
Level 1

The following error msg occurs upon boot of C1231G:

ap: Xmodem file system is available.

flashfs[0]: unable to allocate available block.

The system has been interrupted, or encountered an error

during initializion of the flash filesystem. The following

commands will initialize the flash filesystem, and finish

loading the operating system software:

flash_init

ether_init

tftp_init

boot

flash_init gives the following error:

ap: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

...done Initializing Flash.

Is this AP unrecoverable in any way? Xmodem?

If via xmodem, does someone have a link to recovery instrux?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

It depends -- it sounds like you have a bad block in flash, but that may not be fatal. You will need to test if the AP is bringing up the flash filesystem by attempting to write or read files to it. If it works, then there is a good chance the AP will still be usable, but I would deploy it to where you can easily replace it.

You should not have to use XMODEM as long as the ROM supports tftp. Set up the boot variables and execute tftp_init, then try to copy a tftp file to flash:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/mar_3200/mar_wbrg/o13trb.htm#wp1038660

I know this has been a while since you responded to this post, but let's hope you still check this link. :)

I have a user that has this exact issue, and your response seems valid, but what steps do we need to follow to set the boot variables and initializing the tftp.

The link points to how to configure an AP if the flash initializes.

What steps do we need to follow to write a file to flash?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Matt

FYI...running a few commands returns....

ap: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

...done Initializing Flash.

ap: dir flash:

unable to stat flash:/: invalid argument

ap: ether_init

Reading cookie from flash parameter block...done.

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbs, half-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

The AP is not pinging after initializing the ethernet.

This issue can also be resolved by using a tftp server...configured for an ip between 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.30.

You will need to get the firmware for the particular AP that you are wanting to repair.

Connect the powered off AP with the console cable to your laptop with the tftp server on it. Point the tftp to the folder that the firmware file is, press and hold the mode/reset button on the AP and plug the power in for the AP. Hold the button until the AP light turns red, then release it.

The tftp server will begin to pull the firmware file and reload the AP.

The easiest way to verify this is to also have a hyperterm session connected to the AP so you can watch the process that reloads the flash.

I had the exakt same problem with a customers AP1231G. I resolvd this with Format flash command. "ap: format flash:" After formating the flash, i did the Reset mode button thing.

Follow these steps to reload the access point image file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

Regards

Robin D

jckristin
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a bit too late, I was able to resolve the problem as follows:

a) Connect a PC that has the IOS image to the AP via the console port

b) format flash

Are you sure you want to format "flash:" (all data will be lost) (y/n)?y

c) When the ap: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address,

subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and

DEFAULT_ROUTER options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.0.0.3

ap: set NETMASK 255.0.0.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.1

d) Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the access point for TFTP.

ap: tftp_init

e) Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The

command must include this information:

•the -xtract option, which inflates the image when it is loaded

•the IP address of your TFTP server

•the directory on the TFTP server that contains the image

•the name of the image

•the destination for the image (the access point Flash)

Your entry might look like this example:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.2/images/c350-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA1 flash:

NOTE: if your tar image ends in ".tar" rename it by removing the extension (.tar).

f) When the display becomes full the CLI pauses and displays --MORE--. Press the spacebar to

continue.

extracting info (229 bytes)

c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/appsui.js (558 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/back.htm (205 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/cookies.js (5027 bytes).

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/forms.js (15704 bytes)...

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/sitewide.js (14621 bytes)...

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/config.js (2554 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/stylesheet.css (3215 bytes)

c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/ap_title_appname.gif (1422 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_1st.gif (1171 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_cbottom.gif (318 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_current.gif (348 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_last.gif (386 bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_last_filler.gif (327

bytes)

extracting c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/html/level1/images/apps_button_last_flat.gif (318

bytes)

-- MORE --

If you do not press the spacebar to continue, the process eventually times out and the

access point stops inflating the image.

g) Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point

uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same

name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look

like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

h) Enter the set command to check your bootloader entries.

ap: set

BOOT=flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.0.0.1

IP_ADDR=10.0.0.3

NETMASK=255.0.0.0

i) Enter the boot command to reboot the access point. When the access point reboots, it

loads the new image.

ap: boot

adams.grant
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem on a 1232 AP but I cannot type anything into the CLI to repair the issue. Is there any way to repair this? I am very frustrated and can really use some help here. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card