cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManger Local Speed Dial Directory

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

I am trying to setup a directory similar to the one I have on at my CME locations. We populate the Local Speeddial Directory with the numbers of our different locations. Is this possible to do in CallManager? I know about FastDials but that is on a per user basis.

9 Replies 9

ecornwell
Level 2
Level 2

We wanted to do the same thing and ended up using FastDials.

We create a user inside CCM for each group of SpeedDials (FastDials) we want. Then for each person that gets that list, we subscribe the fastdial service to them and use the pre-configured user accout.

We also had someone that wrote an ASP app that allows us to put a CSV file with all the phone numbers in the same directory as the page and it automatically loads all the numbers into that fastdail user.

It has worked well so far. The only complaint I've gotten is that it takes too long to navigate sometimes. They were using to quickly dialing the speeddial number and hitting the number they wanted. Now they have to wait for the page to load.

Interesting approach. The issue with that is the navigation is different and so is the label. I wanted to remain consistent with my CME sites so if we have vistors from those sites or vice versa, they will know the location of the speed dials.

Understood.

I ended up renaming the fastdial service and called it SpeedDial. I also created a SpeedDial* which is a direct copy of the fast dial. I edited the first SpeedDial to remove the buttons that allow you to edit the list. That way who ever has SpeedDial* can view and edit the list while everyone else can only view.

That is pretty cool. How did you go about renaming and changing the permissions?

I used the standard fastdial asp pages and just named the service SpeedDial under the IP Phone Services Configration screen. That was the easy part.

Next I went to the fastdials directory and edited the asp pages. There were a few labels setup that said "Personal Fast Dials" and I changed them to "Group Speed Dials." Later in the code there is a section that defines the softkeys. I removed the Assign and Remove soft key. All the functionality is still there, the key just isn't displayed.

Once that was done, I saved the file as a different name "xmlFastDials-NoEdit.asp" and created another service that points to that.

I also created a spreadsheet with all the users we've created and their password and pin that way any of our techs can add the service to any phone that is needed.

As a side note, I hadn't messed around with CME until after I did these changes. I really wish Cisco would add something for group speed dials that was configured in a way simialr to Call Pickup groups. I'd like to give my clients the speed they were used to seeing back.

I agree with you on the speed dial issue in CME. Although I did come up with a solution that I think addresses it.

At my CallManger site we had setup translation patterns for speed dials using '#' and a number.

For example

#01 would dial site 1

#02 would dial site 2

This seemed to work well. I was trying to come up with a way to replicate these same speed dials at my CME sites so they would be consistent.

TAC was little help here, they kept telling me it wasn't possible to use the # sign. But I found that there is a feature built into CME that uses this by default, bulk speed dials.

So I setup a .txt file according to the directions and now we can use the #01, #02, etc at my CME sites.

Since we are sick of having to publish phone lists every time we update these, I used the Local Speed Dials in CME to reference the name and then the #01, etc. inside.

Now I am trying to find a way to do this in CallManger. I have the speed dials, it would just be nice to have a published list in the same place as my CME sites.

OK So I figured this out on my own.

What I did was edit the following file:

C:\CiscoWebs\IPPhoneServices\CCMCIP\xmldirectory.asp

I added the following lines of code underneath the existing Menu Item:

Local Speed Dial

<% = getBaseURL() %>speeddial.xml

And dropped my speeddial.xml file from my CME site into that directory.

Works like a charm. In testing, I created a test directory and virtual directory in IIS but was unable to get the Corporate Directory to appear. I believe that IIS has a file lock on the database and won't let another application into it. I was able to test out my XML code there though by moving it into a seperate XML file and referencing that directly in the Directory URL field on my phone.

That's a great idea, I'll have to remember that if we ever need to use Corportate wide speed dials.

What was the format of the speeddial.xml?

You can use this same format in CM and CME. In CME its easy, just dump this into flash: and it will automatically populate the Local Speed Dial Directory.

Local Speed Dial

Record 1 to 1 of 1

Speed Dial Name

Phone Number

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: