Views
Helpful
Replies

ES needed for digitally network Unity 4.x with 5.x

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello all -

I found out there is an engineering change needed to digitally network Unity 4.x servers with 5.x. Once you upgrade your first 4.x server to 5.x, the other servers will not be able to share in the license pool unless ES116 has been applied. ES116 superceded ES86. I received the ES by contacting TAC. Note - only needed if your Unity servers are participating in license pooling.

Regards, Ginger

5 Replies 5

mrmccann
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Ginger, I don't think we documented this well enough. It is highlighted in the release notes as a resolved caveat, because the 4.x ESes were created before Unity 5.0(1) released - see CSCsg49334:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/release/notes/501curelnotes.html#wp51976

Note that there is a different ES required to get license pooling working with Unity 5.0(1) depending on whether you are running Unity 4.2(1), 4.1(1), or 4.0(5).

Mike

Hi all -

This is too funny! We upgraded a Unity server to version 7.X yesterday and all went fine until around 11:00 AM this morning when we began getting license violations on our 4 remaining 4.2(1) servers. After contacting TAC and confirming we would test reboot the 4.2(1) servers this evening, I checked again through Bug ToolKit and the forum ... finally landing on my own post, two years earlier!!!! I am laughing right now - can't give myself 5 points though :-) Applied ES116 to Unity 4.2 server and rebooted, all is good with the world of voicemail. And we received our Unity Connection server shipment today so that we can build out our clusters and digitally network them before moving users to UC. Hope anyone that reads this gets a kick out of it - I sure did!!

Sincerely, Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Too cool! It just goes to show us all how valuable it is to post up solutions to these issues. We may even save ourselves somewhere down the road :) Awesome!

+5 points for this my friend!

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Rob -

Cheers to you too! Hope things are going well with you :-)

Ginger

Hey Ginger,

Life is great here! Just back from a nice 10 day break. It sounds like you have a great deal of work ahead of you for sure. If you don't mind me asking, it looks like your organization has decided to move from Unity to Unity Connection. If that is the case, then the rest of us who are running or starting to run UC 7.x are in luck to have your expertise and sage advise to look forward to :)

We are gearing up (finally!) for our Phase 1 move from Octel to Unity Connection 7.1 in October. We have been running a Pilot with 100 IT users for about 3-4 months now and so far UC has been well received!

I haven't quite figured out the transition of Octel VM applications to Unity Connection applications, but that is Phase 2. We have about 280 Apps to move over (Yikes!!) Any good tips??

Cheers and thanks for all you do here!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: