cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1310 bridge w/Yagi antenna, repeater between two bridges

cjrchoi11
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sets of AP1310 bridge and yagi antenna to connect them but realized need a repeater between them due to line of sight.

I'm thinking purchase another AP1310 bridge with two Yagi antennas with pointing one(right) to Root and the other(left) to Non-Root. Is this valid solution? or advise please.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Yes it is.

Keep in mind that the repeater will reduce your throughout to at least half of the total of what would be available in a point-to-point.

This happens because the frame enters the AP, gets buffered as a complete frame, then is re-transmitted to the next hop (versus a bit-by-bit style of repeating a signal).

So you are effectively doubling the amount of traffic through the AP (or halving the amount of available bandwidth / space)

Good Luck

Scott

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

You'll need two bridges at your repeater station. The two connectors are for diversity antenna and the bridge will only transmit/receive through one connector at a time, not a recipe for a stable link! : )

Two bridges connected with a crossover lead each with a Yagi antenna should do the job although as Scott says you will take a hit on throughput.

I believe your throughput when using dual bridges in the middle will be very limited. The link from the central location to the first bridge in the middle will have one SSID and channel and the second bridge in the middle will have another SSID and channel. Also, if you do two bridges back to back, you should use channel's 1 and 11. Using channel 6 in close proximaty will actually overlap slightly into 1 and 11.

The link between the two back to back bridges will be 100M full duplex and therefore almost no loss of throughput.

The extra cost for the extra bridge is worth it.

Seth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card