cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loading IOS onto a 2811 router

niall.doherty
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 2811 that I want to load the 'c3825-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1' IOS onto. However I get an error saying the IOS is too big for the TFTP server (50M). Next issue is that I dont have a Cisco USB key do nor do I have another router to load it from...any ideas on what I need to try next?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could either use a TFTP server that supports files sized larger than 32 MB or use a FTP server.

changezi1
Level 1
Level 1

I just used a Compact flash adapter, plugged the CF card in my laptop, dragged and dropped the IOS image file.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recommend going the FTP server route.

Please read this article on the configuration at the IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hcf_c/ch40/cfh900.htm#wp1001175

Niall,

do you really want to load the c3825-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1 on a 2811? This is probably no good idea, you'd rather need a c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T1.bin instead. But I assume it was a typo. I tried to load the c2800nm-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-15.T1.bin to a 2811 from usbflash but during booting I got the error message that the file is to large for booting (whatever this means on a router with 256MB RAM...). The router ended up in a boot loop. There must be something in ROMMON that prevents the router from loading the file. I have not found out yet what it is.

Cheers,

Mat

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 2811 and I used that image. Install tftp32 from http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Since that image was too big to fit on the 2811 flash along with the other image, I had to delete the running image from flash and then I transfered the new image to the 2811 and reloaded it to boot from this new image and it worked fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card