Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain Name

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

Is the VTP Domain name, case sensitive?

4 Replies 4

I'm sorry. I didnt see in the link that they the domain names are case sensitive.

IF two VTP servers exsist in the same LAN, and each have a VLAN of 302 with different IP Addresses, will there be a conflict?

Not at all.

First I should say that this is about maintaining the list of layer-2 VLANs, so IP addresses don't come into it (except as an indicator who did the last update).

You can have as many servers as you want on the domain and they are all synchronised, as are the clients. You can update the VLAN list of the domain on any client. It works on "Configuration Revision". All the servers and clients have the same VLAN list, and the same "Configuration Revision" level. If you modify the VLAN list on one server, its Config Revision goes up. The other switches see from its advertisments that it has a higher revision, and copy its database.

What you do at layer-3 in each VLAN (like setting IP addresses etc.) is entirely up to you. VTP doesn't care.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Pojt number 5.

In the Domain Name field, enter a name that identifies the administrative domain for the switch.

Note: Do not configure a domain name if all switches are operating as VTP clients; in this case, configuring a domain name makes changing the VLAN configuration for the domain impossible.

By default, no domain name is defined, but VTP is not active until a name is defined or until it is learned from an advertisement.

Domain names range from 1 to 32 characters and are case sensitive.

To answer your next question, i dont think ip addresses should conflict.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco