Views
Helpful
Replies

Softphone and CallManager Express

amiralisetoudeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a software based phone that works with CME?

I've downloaded the softphone and it asks for the CallManager version and IP and ends up not even having a line associated with it.

What I'm actually trying to accomplish is troubleshooting phone issues by logging into a system at the client's location with such software installed on it so I can perform test calls and what not.

I'd appreciate if anyone could direct me to a possible solution.

Regards,

Ali

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ali,

You are most welcome :) Good luck with your testing!

Take care,

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ali,

Support for IP Communicator was added in CME 4.0 Have a look at the steps below;

SCCP: Configuring Cisco IP Communicator Support

To enable support for Cisco IP Communicator, perform the following steps.

Prerequisites

Cisco Unified CME 4.0 or a later version

Cisco IP Communicator 2.0 or a later version

IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server

(Optional) Headsets with microphones for users

DETAILED STEPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Download the latest version of the Cisco IP Communicator software and install it on your PC.

The download website is at http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-iostsp.

Step 2 (Optional) Attach a headset with microphone to your PC.

Step 3 Start the Cisco IP Communicator application.

Step 4 Define the IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server.

a. Open the Network > User Preferences window.

b. Enter the IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server.

Step 5 Wait for the Cisco IP Communicator application to connect to Cisco Unified CME and register.

Step 6 Configure the extension numbers and line buttons for the Cisco IP Communicator.

Use the normal phone provisioning commands described in the "SCCP: Creating Directory Numbers" section. In the type command, use the CIPC keyword to identify this phone as a Cisco IP Communicator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCCP: Verifying Cisco IP Communicator Support

Step 1 Use the show running-config command to display ephone-dn and ephone information associated with this phone.

Step 2 After Cisco IP Communicator registers with Cisco Unified CME, it displays the phone extensions and soft keys in its configuration. Verify that these are correct.

Step 3 Make a local call from the phone and have someone call you. Verify that you have a two-way voice path.

SCCP: Troubleshooting Cisco IP Communicator Support

Step 1 Use the debug ephone detail command to diagnose problems with calls. For more information, see the Cisco Unified CME Command Reference.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00807e13a7.html#wp1046762

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

I really appreciate your thorough and precise response.

I'm sorry I replied a little late - I must have forgotten to enable the email notification when my thread would get a response.

GREAT links and GREAT documentation!!

I'm going to download the software and implement a few test scenarios.

Best Regards,

Ali

Hi Ali,

You are most welcome :) Good luck with your testing!

Take care,

Rob