cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switches and EIGRP

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

Can all layer 3 switches run EIGRP or only some . And which are those?

Thanks

moses.

PC.I am thinking of buying some layer 3 switches and i want to run EIGRP in all my network. Which models do you suggest? Basically i am interesting in 1 switch 4500 series and about 10 3560 or 3750.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think base will run rip or what is called EIGRP stub . If you want full functionality within the routing protocol you would need ipservices image.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As far as I know the standard images can run only static routes (and may be RIP), but the enhanced images are capable to run routing protocols like EIGRP, OSPF, BGP.

Use the software feature navigator for the desired features.

Hope it helps, rate if does

Krisztian

I think the cisco uses different terms now.

IP Base

IP Services etc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5460/prod_bulletin0900aecd80281b17.html

Is that the same. I mean the enchance is IP services.

Thanks

moses

Hi,

Yes you are right. It looks it is changing.

In my interpretation the IP base is the smallest package for L3 sw's (hopefully free of charge) which includes the full IP routing capabilities although you will need IP services to run full feature EIGRP.

Hope it clears

Krisztian

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think base will run rip or what is called EIGRP stub . If you want full functionality within the routing protocol you would need ipservices image.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your looking to support much gig or 10 gig, consider carefully that the 4500 chassis only supports 6 gig to each line card. Compare to the 4948, 6500 series or 3750-E.

The difference between the 3560 vs. 3750 is the latter can be stacked, which then is somewhat similar to a using a chassis. Only one logical device to manage, chassis like bandwidth between the stack members, stack fault tolerance (like an 450xR chassis with dual sups).

You do need the advanced feature image for full EIGRP support for the 3560/3750.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco