cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Question - 2 VTP Servers Different Domains

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

All, I have two VTP Servers each with a different VTP Domain. While in production, can I change 1 of the VTP domains to match the other?

What is the best method to do this?

6 Replies 6

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

You can certainly change it.

Make sure they agree on the VLAN list, and then just make them match. To be safe I would do this outside main operating periods.

Alternatively, change one to client mode, then change the domain, add a VLAN on the now only server and make sure it appears on the client then set to server mode.

If you do this, please make sure that the switch you are adding has a lower configuration revision than the domain you are adding it to, regardless of whether it is a server or a client. One little known fact is that a VTP client is just as capable of updating a domain as a VTP server is. If you want to be 100% sure, put it in transparent and back into client; that will knock the revision level down to zero.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin, do you know why the VLANs can not ping each other?

We would need to see configs to comment, ans a clear desription of what you mean, "vlans not pinging each other" is rather vague, unfortunately. I presume what you mean is the routing interfaces for two switches will not ping each other on the same VLAN?

if the swtich I am adding, I change to transparent, then to Client, then to Server...by doing this, the rev level is 0 when its a client then 1 when its a server. IF there are two VTP Servers in the same domain, 1 with rev level 11 and the other rev level 1, which updates who? When will the VTP server with rev level 2 update the VTP server with rev level 11?

They will both take on the VLAN list of the version 11 one, as long as all the conditions are met. They all synchronise to the highest revision level. (And if you add a client that has a higher revision level 'cos you were playing with it in the lab, they will synchronise to that too! Beware!)

They must be connected via a trunk or trunks, through switches that understand VTP

They must have the same domain name (including any spaces!)

The passwords must match

If they do not both arrive at version 11, one of these conditions has not been met.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: