cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What would cause new vlans to not talk to each other?

rwamstutz
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have 2 VTP Servers, each with a differnet name, connected via trunk port.

I added a VLAN on each VTP Server, but can not ping either VLAN interface that was just added.

Both interfaces show as being up.

The L2 VTP Server has just been provisioned as we are adding a switch to form a stack this weekend.

So being proactive, I figured I would create the a new VLAN to verify connectivity between the two new VLAN interfaces, however, they do not ping.

Can anyone advise on how to resolve?

6 Replies 6

moreau.didier
Level 1
Level 1

Did not you set the vlans allowed accross the trunk ?

all vlans are allowed. The L2 Switch has recently been provisioned for a switch to be added to it, does that do anythign?

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello all!

From my knowledge if you have 2 VTP Servers and the same domain configured for both, then if you configure a VLAN on one of the VTP Server, then it should be propagate automatically on the other one.If it act like this than the VTP Servers function OK.

Can you check this?

Br,

Calin

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

Could you add your configs? That would help us see if we can see any discrepancies.

Paul.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

If the VTP domains are different, then you must force the trunk with switchport mode trunk at both ends. You might want to add switchport nonegotiate for good measure to stop any DTP packets being sent out at all.

As far as I know, DTP will not negotiate a trunk dynamically across two different VTP domains. You might like to confirm that with a show int trunk.

(OTOH, if the domain names are the same and the VTP mode is transparent, then dynamic trunk negotiation will work, even if the VLAN lists will not be synchronised.)

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where are you pinging the Vlans from ? A workstation or from the switch CLI ?

Can we see the 'show ip int bri | ex una' output ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card