cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

urgent need show high banwidth user on switch?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

How can I tell who is using the most bandwidth on a switchport?

I have CiscoWorks, but need to trace a high user on a switchport with CiscoWorks or command line.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"show interface " will show the given load and how many packets per second.

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If the port involved is a layer 3 port, then you can turn on "ip accounting" under that interface and issue the command "show ip accounting" to see per user traffic statistics on that port.

If the port involved is a pure layer 2 switch port, then it will not be possible to directly get such statistics via CLI.

However you can configure a SPAN session to examine it, using a sniffer/ethereal tool running on machine connected to SPAN destination port. With the sniffer/ethereal capture, you can have the full statistics information.

Hope this helps.

-VJ

Thanks for the reply.

We found out what was causing the trouble, but:

Are you talking about a VLAN SVI for the layer 3 port?

Also, what if this were a Multilink bundle?

I would be able to see traffic staticstics for per user stats?

And if I turn this on, what sort of impact will this have on cpu or memory on that device?

Hi,

You can turn on the ip accounting under any interface( physical, vlan svi etc) which has an ip address.

Yes you can very well turn that feature under a multilink bundle interface. You would get the traffic statistics and from that you can find out, which ip is pumping more traffic.

IP accounting will result in additional CPU utilisation. However it shouldn't be causing any huge performance impact, unless you are already running at very high cpu utilisation.

As this is only for diagnostic purpose, once your troubleshooting is over, you would have to turn this feature off.

If you want to have such statistics collected and stored for future reference, you should look at the netflow feature, which provides much more details on traffic statistics. Ofcourse for this, you need a netflow collector software to interpret the netflow data exported from the switch and present it in a graph format and to archive the statistics for future reference.

Hope this helps.

-VJ

Very useful.

Thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card