Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on Cisco Router for SB network

net100tec
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I am setting up a 6 workstation network for a client. It will have only a Win DC and Win File Srv. No web or email server. The ISP is ADSL. On occasion a user on a business trip will need to RDP to the file server using TermSrv. I would appreciate some router and network configuration advice.

) Is the ASA 5500 router / 8 port switch a good choice?

) The client also wants wireless. Would it be wise to use a WAP or another router with wireless like the Cisco 877.

) I've heard that issues occur when IPSec is used for VPN access from hotels. Is that true? If so, why do so many of the Cisco routers only support IPSec?

) Is it better to allow my router device to perform DHCP or have the Win DC do it?

) Network configuration - Does this sound ok. I connect the Cisco router/8 port switch to the ADSL router supplied by the ISP. Then connect the DC, file server and each workstation to the Cisco switch ports. I need to use Active Directory to manage users. Should I instead connect the DC to the Cisco router with one NIC. Connect the other DC NIC to a second switch and connect the workstations to that switch?

Thanks a lot if you can help.

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

You can use cisco 877. Connect one of the Lan ports of the ADSL router to one of the 8 ports of cisco router. You can connect other devices to the 8 port switch. In this ADSL router would be the DHCP server for all the devices wired and wireless including DC , File server. Disable DHCP server on cisco router.

DeonLouwBotha
Level 1
Level 1

Going to give this a shot,

Is the ASA 5500 router / 8 port switch a good choice?

The ASA 5500 Series is an Adaptive Security Appliance and not a router. If you intend to use an ASA 5500 Series you may need a router or dsl modem to manage the connection.

The client also wants wireless. Would it be wise to use a WAP or another router with wireless like the Cisco 877.

The Cisco 877W ISR is a great router especially with one of the advanced images will give you Intrusion Protection + Firewall + VPN + Firewall + NAC and some more. Its all about how much your client is willing to spend.

I've heard that issues occur when IPSec is used for VPN access from hotels. Is that true?

I dont know.

If so, why do so many of the Cisco routers only support IPSec?

Is it better to allow my router device to perform DHCP or have the Win DC do it?

Question of Design or Personal preference whichever you decide just disable the other.

Network configuration

If the DC is MS SBS Prem with ASA use a split green/red config, ASA on a single nic config with Exchange on the same machine does weird things.

If you arent running the above and you have enough ports on the ISR purchased it should be fine to connect them directly to the appliance and much less hassle.

ttrentler
Level 4
Level 4

I really like the UC500 series for Small Business. It has built in Wireless, Switchports, VPN and also supports voice.

The UC500 as a standalone with the Wi-Fi or added companion CE500 with Wi-Fi Controller and AP's makes a great solution for SMB. The only setback to the solution is that you need a Modem/Router for the WAN connection as the UC500 does not have a router/modem.

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco 1811W every day of the week and twice on Sunday! :)

wireless built in, will handle VPN access. also has a built in 8-port switch. this is the box I run in my home.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card