please help me understand how to effectively use logrot. I saw a thread on using the logrot, but my concerns include:
1. When do we need to use logrot?
2. if i use logrot for syslog.log, would i still be able to get all the information that i am getting without using logrot?
3. what if i use logrot, and at some point , i need to revert back to manual log backup proceure, how would i be able to do that?
please brief me on this, as i am still hesitant to do modifications on my current data without having engouh knowledge of logrot.
1. Logrot is used to keep log file sizes under control. An administrator should set it up as soon as the server is up and running. It should be scheduled to run periodically as documented in the online help.
2. Logrot does not affect the syslog messages that have already been gathered. Those should be stored in the RME database.
3. Simply disable the cron or at job that is running logrot.