Views
Helpful
Replies

neighbor Down BGP Notification received FFFF

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am just wondering...has any of you seen the following message. I have been getting these messages and my BGP session has been bouncing after every 1 hour.

%BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor Down BGP Notification received FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF 0015 0304 00

Any input or documentation will be greatly appreciated.

Regards..

Hassan...

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This indicates a flapping BGP peer, means the BGP neighbor went up/down.

There are many reasons the BGP peer comes up/down.

- Faulty line

- Congestion

- Router reboot

- routing loop

- others

Regards,

Dandy

Hello,

I agree as to there are reasons for BGP to flap.

But i have not seen the above specific message "received FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF 0015 0304 00" with BGP flapping. I have been trying to check what can cause this kind of error.

Thanks..

Quite possibly its duplex/speed mismatch on one of the links. This can cause the reset of the bgp session after a period of time.

This is sometimes caused by using very agressive timer values on busy router CPUs or congested links. What BGP holddown timer are you using.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello,

You see that's the problem, this started all of a sudden. There were no changes on the network besides a workstation was added on the subnet which has access to Firewall applications and also has Sympatico or with simiar name Firewall application running on it. You think could this Workstation doing any crazy thing. I have checked the FastEthernet 0/1 which connects on the switch and same VLAN where workstation is at. There is only 25,k inbound and 60-k outbound traffic ..and no errors

Thanks

how bout checking the other routers interfaces?

& to be sure, can you remove the workstation and see if the problem goes away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: