cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I use a seed file within CiscoWorks? -- Urgent

gwhansen59
Level 1
Level 1

I have a large network and recently performed a network scan using an IP scan tool. From the scan, I found a bunch of IP addresses that I didn't know about.

What I want to do know is to use these unknown IP addresses as a seed file to use within CiscoWorks to perform a Device Discovery scan to see if these IP addresses are Cisco devices and retrieve their information. Is is possible to do this scan using the unknown IPs as a seed file?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sure, you can use these addresses as seeds to Device Discovery. However, if you do not know their SNMP credentials, or if they are not running SNMP, Discovery will not find additional information about them. Additionally, if they are not Cisco devices running CDP or ILMI, you will not find any additional neighbors for those devices.

Thanks for the info jclarke. Just curious though, if I run the device discovery scan using the IPs as a seed file, will the scan result in the management of those IPs and will it overwrite/erase any previous management seed files? I just want to be sure if I can run the scan without managing the IPs before I know what the devices are and don't want to overwrite/erase any previous scans. Thanks.

If you empty your current seed list in favor of these new addresses, then result will be that DCR will contain the previously discovered devices plus any of these new devices that are SNMP-reachable as well as any of their CDP or ILMI neighbors (if they are SNMP-reachable).

So, I cannot limit my discovery to the unknown IP addresses? I just want to know what these IPs are, but I think what you're telling me is that I can use these IPs as a seed file, run the scan, and the results will include the unknown IP addresses (if SNMP credentials are the same as in DCR) and their neighbors (if CDP is enabled).

So, CiscoWorks will not allow me to only discover the unknown IP addresses? Is there a way around that to only discover the IPs that I want discovered?

Thanks in advance Jclarke!

Right below the seed device button is the option to limit the discovery by IP addr range(s).

If all you want to do is discover those unknown addresses, add them as seeds and configure discovery filters with the same addresses. That way, only those devices will be added to DCR (provided they are SNMP-reachable). However, if you already have devices in DCR, they will not be removed by configuring these seeds or discovery filters.

Thank you all for your responses. This helped me a lot!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: