Cisco 5000 series L3 switch

Unanswered Question
Oct 1st, 2007

Hi,

It is a campus area network.

1. I have deployed L3 core switch (Cisco 5000 series)

2. The L3 core switch is populated with MM fiber module 2 Nos.

3. I have many access layer switches,all cisco only,all the switches are equiped with 2 MM fiber module.

4. I have the connectivity between the mmain L3 core switch to the first nearest building access switch.

5. From the first building access switch to second building fiber connectivity is there.Second building to third and so on.

6. The last (10th building)building is connected with the main L3 core switch,for that reason if the main building switch to first building switch connectivity is last ,that the network traffic will take the route through the 10 th building which is directly connected with the main building L3 core switch.

7. In the above scenario,I have to implement the STP in all the switches with the instance and building.Is it correct?

please guide me how to achieve the redundancy in the above said scenario.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 10/02/2007 - 05:17

If I understand your topology, the only redundancy you will achieve is able to sustain loss of a single edge switch or loss of one of the ports to your L3 core switch. Yes, STP will be required.

If your topology, the STP topology costing should be configured such that normally the link between switches 5 and 6 blocks.

Better performance might be obtained if you had a second core switch, L2 or L3, to terminate the edge switches' 2nd fiber link. It would also connect to your current L3 core switch. If L3, the switch would also provide redundancy for your core routing.

Actions

This Discussion