Views
Helpful
Replies

pptp same subnet

damir.kaknjo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Im sorry to say I dont have much experience with Cisco but have with Windows RRAS. Up until now we were rouning remote access server on Windows Server but my company now changed to Cisco and wants me to setup it.

I have to configure pptp on Cisco 1812 router so that Windows XP clients can connect.

I've setup pptp (from conf. examples on cisco.com) and radius is on Windows Server. AAA passes and client is connected. But the problem is, client cannot ping any resource on the internal network. Client can only ping IP address of router interface on internal network.

This must be a routing problem. Is that possible because I've set up peer's ip pool in same subnet as router's internal interface? Can it work that way? It works that way on Windows Server. Can I make it to work that way?

If I have to change ip pool to different subnet, how will client know how to route from that subnet to internal network? I much prefer soulutin with same subnet. Is this ACL problem?

2 Replies 2

nikolay-shopik
Level 1
Level 1

if you are want use same subnet you need to add command ip proxy-arp on interface which you inherit parameters on your virtual-template.

If you want different subnet which is more correct way you need sure what use default getaway on remote network check box is selected in your VPN connection(TCP/IP->advanced).

I can't tell you how much grief that simple command caused for me. Thank you so much!

I'm going to add some keywords so people can find this easier:

cisco pptp vpn can't ping remote hosts clients machines same subnet split tunneling proxy arp interface Virtual-Template

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: