Helpful
Replies

Error opening tftp:network-config

dshinnick
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all-

I'm a Cisco instructor and many of the routers in my class give a:

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)

messsage every time the students boot up with no config file. Sometimes "network-confg" is "cisconet-cfg".

As soon as the students create a config file it stops happening on reboot, but they write-erase and boot frequently during class and it's a real problem. I've tried "no service config" but that doesn't seem to help. And CTRL-SHIFT-6-x doesn't interrupt it; they just have to sit there for several minutes until it times out.

Any ideas how to shut this behavior off permanently?

Thanks-

Dave

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

As a Cisco instructor I am very familiar with that message. In my experience the no service config has been very effective at stopping that message. I am not sure why it is not working for you but it did work for me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If the IOS *defaults* to "service config", and you have no config file on the system, it would seem that we need to alter a setting NOT in the config file, but in the config register, perhaps; something where the settings "sticks" even when there is no config file present.

dave

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Granted the message is irritating, but you can avoid it, and there is certainly no need to wait until it times out. During booting, when it asks "Do you want to enter initial setup", answer "Yes". That will stop the message. You can then abort the setup (if you want) with a Control-C, or simply go through with it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hmmm...good thought, but I'm pretty sure the tftp thing occurs before the setup dialog begins. So, we're still sitting there waiting for it to time out.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Thinking about this a bit more (but not having my lab to hand to test it), I feel sure that if you answer "no" to the setup question, that would also work.

If I remember right, what happens is that it asks the question whether you want to enter the setup. If you don't answer within a certain time (5 seconds?) it assumes there is nobody there, and goes into its automated TFTP procedure. If you do answer, either yes or no, then it does not do the TFTP.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card